An abdominoplasty, more commonly known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical procedure that helps flatten and shape the tummy. Categorized under cosmetic surgery, the procedure is carried out by an experienced plastic surgeon. The procedure can be undergone by both men and women who are medically fit for surgery.
How It Works
An abdominoplasty is an invasive surgical procedure that is performed under anesthesia to help you feel comfortable during the process. Here is a brief overview of the procedure:
1. The patient is taken into the operating room and placed under an anesthetic
2. The surgeon makes a horizontal incision between the hipbones
3. The surgery involves tightening the vertical muscles and removing excess skin. In some cases, liposuction is used to remove excess fat.
4. The skin will be stitched back into position as the doctor closes the incisions.
5. As an outpatient procedure, patients will be able to return home soon after the treatment is completed.
Following the surgery, there is a recovery period during which patients are recommended a good deal of rest. Strenuous activities and lifting heavy objects must be avoided during this time, until the healing is complete.
Your doctor will supply you with a set of instructions that you will need to follow during the post-surgery period. Following these instructions carefully will ensure a quick recovery and allow you to resume your normal daily activities in no time.
A Better Stomach Equals A Better You
The tummy tuck procedure does not work as a replacement for weight loss, and good candidates should already be in good general health. The procedure however, is highly effective for people who have lost a considerable amount of weight, or women who have had multiple pregnancies and now have excessive skin around the abdomen.
Very often, no amount of diet and exercise can get rid of this excess skin and here is where an abdominoplasty is useful. Having done the hard work, the abdominoplasty delivers that last bit of help to give you a picture perfect tummy.
A great deal of people would love to look and feel fit, and having a flat, well toned stomach can work wonders for a person’s self confidence. Sometimes all it takes is that little extra bit of self love to get someone on the path to a much healthier lifestyle and taking better care of themselves.
Points To Remember
• Do your research well if you decide to undergo an abdominoplasty.
• Find a respected plastic surgeon who has a history performing the procedure.
• Be honest and open with your doctor about any medical conditions you might have or any medications you are taking.
• Ask your doctor any and all questions you have about the procedure and clear all your doubts.
• It is a must that smokers give up smoking for at least a month prior to the surgery and for a month after.
• Eat healthy, get sufficient sleep, and take good care of yourself before and after the procedure.
A beautiful, flat stomach and a fit, healthy body can be all yours if you follow these few points when getting an abdominoplasty.
Contact Our Office
For more information about the procedure, contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Haven Barlow, a board-certified plastic surgeon.